On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 04:27:49PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Michele Bucca wrote:
>
> >  > I'll note that on my system, I takes only about 20 minutes to build
> > Chapter 5.
> >  >
> >  > -rw-rw-r-- 1 lfs    lfs        0 Jan 23 18:08 034-binutils-pass1
> >  > ...
> >  > -rw-rw-r-- 1 lfs    lfs        0 Jan 23 18:28 064-xz
> >  >
> >  > Yes, it is automated.
>
> > Using ALFS?
>
> jhalfs  (Using -j10)
>
>   -- Bruce

It does depend on your hardware, and I think you've discounted the
tens of seconds it takes to build binutils pass 1 with -j1.  I've
just completed chapter 5 on my A10 (-j4 after binutils1) - about
39m40.  In this case, my own scripts probably do add a little
overhead for logging of what got installed (and rather more overhead
on a completed desktop system) - but theyi do let me sort out which
optional dependencies and extra configure switches I care about.

For a first build, FBBG - but after that, if you stay with us then
_some_ form of scripting is essential if you aren't going to go out
of your mind (although debugging the scripts can also do that :)

Still, I'm happy that this machine of mine is again semi-usable, and
a LOT faster than my first single-core x86_64 machines.

/me waits for AMD Ryzen to become both available and affordable.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods