On 17/02/2017 07:27, Devin Duren wrote:
> Hello, first time posting here.
>
> I am using a 64 bit Cent-OS host, and have not deviated from the book.
>
> LFS Version 7.10
>

> When I ran the configure script for Binutils with the options given in
> section 5.4, there is a line of output that is concerning. I continued
> on to GCC without much thought. But then when I searched through the
> configure output for GCC I do not see the two lines mentioned in section
> 5.2.
>
> As shown below, it seems as though it doesn't recognize we want to cross
> compile.
>
> initial output from Binutils output:
>
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/build$ ../binutils-2.27/configure --prefix=/tools
> --with-sysroot=$LFS --with-lib-path=/tools/lib --target=$LFS_TGT
> --disable-nls --disable-werror
> checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gcc... gcc
> <------------------------ line in question
> checking for suffix of executables...
>
> lines missing from GCC output:
>
> checking what assembler to use... /tools/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/bin/as
> checking what linker to use... /tools/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/bin/ld
>
>  Am I thinking of cross compiling correctly, or is it possible there is
> nothing wrong here and I'm thinking of cross linking?
>

> -Devin

Hi,
Cross compiling means that we use a special compiler (usually named a cross
compiler) to generate code running on another host.
We do not do that here: we build tools for a cross compiler, but those tools
will be running on the host, so it is  host->host compilation.

Autotools can refer to three (potentially different) hosts:
build: the host which is running now, building things
host: the host on which the currently built software will run
target (only when building compilers): the host for which the built compiler
will generate code.
here host=build and target is different
when cross-compiling, host is different from build. target may be equal to
host, or may be a third host (in which case, the built is called a Canadian
cross)
Pierre