On July 6, 2017 7:56:02 PM Andrew Dance <n32...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all!

I've been tinkering with LFS on my Macbook Pro Retina and have managed to
get it booted up.  However, I'm having trouble getting my wifi card to work.

It's a Broadcom bcm4360.  There are 2 flavors, evidently.  Standard b43
drivers don't work on mine, so I have to use something called 'wl'.

On my Ubuntu installation, I did...

*apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source*

and then followed with..

*modprobe wl*

This worked great for Ubuntu.

Questions is; how do I replicate this process in LFS without a package
manager like 'dpkg'

I tried unpacking the debian package but could make any sense of it.

This is how you unpack a dpkg:
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
ar xf ../your.pkg
tar xf data.*
tar xf control.*

Then you get some dirs with files, where stuff under usr,lib etc go exactly to the corresponding place in the filesystem. You might also get some postinst or prerm stuff, they are scripts that would be run at the appropriate action. If you are familiar with shell scripts, it's easy to find out what you have to do apart from copying files to the right place.

Cheers
Tim

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew