On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:20:41PM +0200, Bruno Doutriaux - ABCD Informatique
wrote:
> hello, is it possible to install a package manager such as yum or apt on
> lfs ?
> Cordialement,

The package managers you mentioned can probably be installed after
LFS : just work out the dependencies, ensure those are present, and
then install the package manager.  You will also need to set up
whatever they use for keeping track of what has been installed - I
think somebody mentioned how to set up the details for apt in the
last couple of years, but I don't recall which list (lfs- or blfs-,
-dev or -support) : the archives are online if you want to search.

But whether they will be useful is a different matter : I think yum
is mostly installed by SuSe, and apt by debian, ubuntu and
derivatives.  I do know that people use apt for installing from
source (on debian), I'm not sure about yum and source installs
(finding source for OpenSuSe updates tends to be difficult).

The problem is that in LFS we install comparatively few packages.
If you want to use a pre-prepared package (even from source), it is
likely that many of the dependencies from a base debian (or SuSe)
system will be missing.  More importantly, things in LFS tend to be
different from those in any particular distribution.  For example
when you get to desktop things needing Xorg, each distro will
separate the packages which make Xorg into different groups.

If you are building from source, and therefore creating your own
packages with the dependencies you choose to include, I guess that
almost any package manager can be made to work.  OTOH, if you want
to leverage the packages created for a particular distro then you
will be better using that distro (although LFS and BLFS may still be
interesting for a "learning" system).

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment