On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 00:55:27 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 06:57:53PM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
> > One of the ld tests times out.
> >
> > Running /sources/binutils-2.29/ld/testsuite/ld-x86-64/x86-64.exp ...
> > WARNING: program timed out
> > FAIL: PLT PC-relative offset overflow check
> >
> Hi Hazel,
>
> I can't see anything about PLT in my testsuite logs from -rc1 or
> -rc2 (maybe that means I've missed something when running my
> scripts).  Do you have any other details about which test was
> reported to fail ?
>
> In theory, x86_64 has much less variation (compared to i686) in what
> extras the various CPUs support, but what processor are you using ?
>
> A time-out might also be related to an old, slow, CPU with slow
> memory (I'm thinking particularly of DDR or DDR2 memory).
>
> ĸen
> --
I assume the test that failed is the one called ld-x86-64/x86-64.exp, unless it
was running parallel tests on different cores. The processor is an Intel Core2
Duo running at 2.80GHz. Flags are "fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf
eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave
lahf_lm dtherm" -- if that means anything to you. It doesn't to me, I must
admit. I've always found hardware a closed book.

Unfortunately I made an unholy mess of that partition and had to clear it
completely. Now I'm wondering whether to start again immediately or wait for
the official release.

--
H Russman