Hans Malissa wrote:
Hi,

I’m working my way through LFS 8.1-systemd. I got all the way to 8.3.1
Linux-4.12.7 without any problem, but now I’m stuck during kernel compilation.
After 'make mrproper’ and ‘make menuconfig', I run ‘make'. Compilation runs ok
for quite some time, but eventually it fails with a message:

Setup is 17532 bytes (padded to 17920 bytes).
System is 5281 kB
CRC ed1061fd
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
   Building modules, stage 2.
   MODPOST 3534 modules
ERROR: “__devm_regmap_init_mmio_clk”
[sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-msm8916-digital.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: __modpost] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:1217: modules] Error 2

I’ve tried a few times, starting from a clean source every time. I don’t
understand what’s going wrong here. I was assuming that the .config created
with ‘make menuconfig’ should work in any case?
I initially created .config by copying the config-file from the host
distribution (debian), running ‘make oldconfig’, and then adjusting the .config
to my liking, so it should work on my system. Most likely there are lots and
lots of modules selected that I don’t really need. This should not be a
problem, but if it’s some obscure module that I don’t need which causes the
compile error, then I’d gladly remove it.
Thanks a lot,

Try running 'make defconfig'. That should give you a generic build. Then start looking at customization. The dost distro assumes you you be using an initrd that we do not use. It's not a good starting point.

  -- Bruce