On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 20:51:58 +0000
Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just found out about stow. It just seems too good to be true. So:
> did I misunderstood something? Any gotchas that are not obvious?

  Jorge,

I haven't used stow myself so I can't comment on how well it works.
I think it would work in almost all cases and that the packages with
problems would be those that have trouble when installing to *any*
directory other than /usr or /usr/local.

Another possible "gotcha" is when the package to be installed wants
to tweak something (else) in the main filesystem, say /etc, versus
just add something to /path/to/stow/foo/etc

One package manager I have used before is porg (It had that name
long before Star Wars ever used it. Now we have to search using

porg package manager

rather than just porg to find the correct related sites):

http://porg.sourceforge.net/

and I do like it. It does not use simlinks, but rather maintains
a database of the files installed. With stow, this filelist
information is carried by the symlinks themselves. The advantage
of stow is that the package installation step does not have to be
done as root.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell