> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 04:14:50PM -0800, Paul Rogers wrote:
> > I've just patched one of my older Core2 "Conroe", LFS-7.7, up to 4.4.110.
> > It's an i686 system. <snip>
> >
> > Any ideas?  TIA.
> >

> Looking at my lkml mailbox, patch 02 of 37 for this version added

I haven't been able to GET to LKML for 3 days now.  It keeps timing-out.

> Sorry.  I'm afraid 32-bit x86 gets much less love these days.

Please, if anyone runs across the 32-bit patch, let me know.  There certainly
are many 32-bit system still in service!

Yes, I can run x86-64 on my Conroes, but it's noticably slower, especially for
such things as starting X.

> Meassuring LFS builds looks a bit different to me (column 2+3 are build
> times in seconds and may not be 100% accurate but the trend is clear):
>
> Package                 4.14.10   .12  Ratio
> 034-binutils-pass1           97   113   1,16
> 035-gcc-pass1               261   296   1,13
> 036-linux-headers             6    17   2,83
> 037-glibc                   149   178   1,19

AIUI chips, such as my elderly i7-940, are actually 4 cores that pretend to
have 8 using the hyperthreading introduced with the Pentium-D.  The
hyperthreaded core is scheduled on an "as resources are available" basis--the
"real" core has priority.  Performance figures I saw back in the day showed a
hyperthreaded system provided at most 140% of the equivalent single
core--certainly worth having, but NOT 200%.

"Wikipedia: According to Intel, the first hyper-threading implementation used
only 5% more die area than the comparable non-hyperthreaded processor, but the
performance was 15–30% better. Intel claims up to a 30% performance improvement
compared with an otherwise identical, non-simultaneous multithreading Pentium
4."

So exactly what preceeded the build would change the way tasks got assigned to
the next available "core", hence what ran on real cores vs hyperthreaded
"cores" and different timings.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm