> May want to browse the GCC development discussions at various sites. This
> mentions talk about back porting all the way to GCC-4.
>
> William Harrington

I want it *now*!  ;-)

Highly interestingly, among the scattergun blast at fixes there's this;
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/23/25

It claims besides very little performance impact, and "It's much more
backportable to older kernels..."

> There is now a little documentation (it probably won't satisfy Paul,
> it doesn't say what the various versions changed, but I don't think
> there is anything for his machines anyway).

Intel's policy, not being specific about microcode fixes, amounts to "security
through obscurity" and that has always had to change.

> Looks like Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge will not be getting updates,
> so the same presumably applies to older generations.
>
> ĸen

Krzanich didn't promise fixes for older stuff, but look at the reputation hit
on Apple's battery slowdown.  This will last far longer than the FDIV bug and
hurt worse.

> I am assuming that it is safer to keep the kernel updated and hope for
> the best.  ...  If this is a wrong-headed strategy, please advise.

Hard to say, the kernel is in such flux.  I'm reminded of an old aphorism of a
couple centuries ago, "Yer pays yer money and takes yer chances."

> I am finding the discussion of these events on the list an
> extremely helpful and informative supplement to the LFS-build process.

Indeed, the more of us looking for the best advice to share, the better for us
all.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm