> A little more to report on...I don't know how to understand this -

Indeed, and that deserves some thought.

> As I mentioned, I repeated the whole exercise - right from setting up a
> new VM with identical settings. Followed all the steps exactly, once
> again. And everything is working fine for tcl-8.6.8. It is compiling
> even with -O2.
>
> Now I have 2 VMs with identical settings where one fails to compile
> tcl-8.6.8 with -O2 and the other where it is fine. I don't know how to
> interpret this. I am accepting that I might have made a mistake in the
> first instance, but the failure was very subtle, undetectable and I
> don't know how to understand the peculiar behavior (compiling only with
> -O2 optimization fails, but -O1 succeeds).

Personally, I *wouldn't* recommend building in a VM.  One just adds one more
level of uncertainty, the virtual environment.  I prefer "bare iron".  When, as
it inevitably does, it comes to trouble shooting, one must have someplace solid
to stand on.

> ...  But if you want to go on to build a desktop with a modern
> graphical browser then 8GB RAM (and even with that, maybe swap if you
> are doing other things during the compilation) is more comfortable.
>
> For a server, it probably varies between different packages.  Some
> are fairly light to build.
>
> So no, for LFS-only, 6GB should be adequate.  And I suspect many

Just as a data point, I'm running 7.10, XCFE, Firefox, LibreOffice on an old
Conroe Core2-Duo 6700 (non E-), 4GB.  This is my "daily driver".  It's "fast
enough", and that's all I need.  I don't need a computer so fast it will finish
things before I've got it all thought out, if you know what I mean.  Sometimes
it can be a good thing when one can't just "brute force it" and has to do it
with some finesse.

I'll do building on an old 12GB i7-940, so's I can use -j8.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm