On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 20:32:37 -0400
Don Cross <cosineki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I built LFS using jhalfs and the 8.2 version of the book on a machine with
> an Intel G860 processor. The configure script for libffi guessed wrong
> about the processor's capabilities, causing Python 3 to crash with an
> invalid instruction exception.

FWIW, I did file a bug report with libffi's developers:

https://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2018/msg00033.html

Mailing list and contact info here:
https://sourceware.org/libffi/

However, there hasn't been any reply, so far.

At the very least, maybe there should be a warning message about this
issue on the LFS libffi page, including noting that it will typically
manifest as a python illegal instruction crash, which can happen
when building meson.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell