Yeah!, thanks a lot Bruce and Ken. The rootdelay=10 is the right solution,
effectively usb is slower than thunderbolt at start.

init=PARTUUID is OK and init=/dev/sda4 so because kernel seem to give /dev/sdb
as name and keep /dev/sda for internal disk. Later i’ll do a trie with UUID.

for the story, i turned around this problem during one month with severals
externals disk always for the same result and a less than one minute it’s
solved.

I am going now to next stage : BLFS on physical MAC (which is OK under
virtualbox).

regards —Dominique