On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 16:45:36 +0100
Hazel Russman <hazeldeb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The system now boots with acpi on, but I suddenly have mouse problems in
> X. Some mouse functions work and some don't. So this is not a complete
> solution yet, though it's a giant step forward.

Be careful here Hazel! Remember, after the patch, you are booting a newer
kernel with *tons* of other changes. If I had to bet at this point, my
money would go on that one of the *other* 4.15 changes caused your mouse
problem - that you are seeing two different problems. For example,
something like:

https://aeolus.tk/viewtopic.php?id=236253

Sometimes newer kernels subtly change the names of devices or report
their capabilities differently. So, it's not a necessarily "bug", yet.

Use

xinput list

to list all the input devices to Xorg. Find the id number for your
mouse. Then, using that id number, call (I've used id=9 below):

xinput list-props 9

do you notice anything different in the output of xinput list-props
between the 4.14 and 4.15 kernels?

Are you running the gpm daemon to provide mouse text console (no Xorg)
cut and paste features?:

ps -aef | grep gpm

which might reveal a command like like:

/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psaux -t imps2 -r 45 -Rraw

(or /dev/mouse, /dev/input/mice, etc.)

The -Rraw option passes the data to /dev/gpmdata so that the X server
can pickup on that so that you can use the mouse under the text console
as well as Xorg.

If you don't run gpm, you can try to install/start/use it under the text
console to see if the movement and center button paste functions work.
You can use midnight commander (/usr/bin/mc) to test if the left button
and scroll wheel work under (with gpm in a text console).

If your mouse works fine under the console, but not Xorg, then Xorg might
just need a settings tweak under the newer kernel. Does Xorg complain any
in its log about the mouse?

If all also fails, you can try kernel bisecting all over again - each time
using the ioremap.c fix, of course. LOL!

  Cheers,

  Mike