On 5/8/19 3:49 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 11:46:40AM -0400, baho-u...@columbus.rr.com wrote:
I went back into my archive of LFS-8.2 and pulled out the perl-5.26.1.tar.xz
tarball and copied it into the build directory. Changed the script that I
use to build the chapter 5 tool chain to use that version and build the
package but not install it.  No segfault during the build.

Changed the script back to use perl-5.28.1 and the segfaults occur.

This points to something in the 5.28.1 version of perl causing the
segfaults.

Since I can not further debug this issue I may have to use the perl 5.26.1
version in my LFS-8.4 builds.

That is unless some one wants to help with this issue.
So, you are making some progress although it obviously does not feel
like that to you.

For the 5.26 series of perl, if my memory serves me well 5.26.3 has
a number of vulnerability fixes.

I also note that you said that using the pclinuxos *kernel* to run
LFS does not show the problem, which suggests a kernel-config
difference, or else a kernel-version difference.

No it does not segfault under pclinuxos as a host, only LFS.

I used the config file from pclinuxos which was 4.16.12 and did a make oldconfig then added the SATA drivers so it would boot.  It still segfaulted when building on LFS-8.4.   This is a perl or LFS issue as it will build under pclinuxos and arch linux.

I would say it could be an issue with my build but all tests pass and gcc tests are clean.

 The system runs fine, the version of perl in LFS-8.4 always segfaults under a LFS host.

Using the perl version from LFS-8.2 works fine under a LFS host.

It is my opinion that it is a LFS build/system issue.

Has any one else tried to build LFS-8.4 using the just build LFS-8.4?

ĸen