On 10/13/19 5:08 PM, Richard Melville wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 19:09, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com <mailto:bruce.du...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 10/13/19 12:26 PM, Richard Melville wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 17:31, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com
    <mailto:bruce.du...@gmail.com>
    > <mailto:bruce.du...@gmail.com <mailto:bruce.du...@gmail.com>>>
    wrote:

    >     On 10/13/19 10:56 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
    >      > On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 08:51:58AM -0500, Bruce Hill wrote:
    >      >> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 09:50:19AM +0800, niuneilneo wrote:
    >      >>
    >      >>> --
    >      >>> http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/listinfo/lfs-support
    >      >>> FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
    >      >>> Unsubscribe: See the above information page
    >      >>>
    >      >>> Do not top post on this list.
    >      >>>
    >      >>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people
    normally read
    >     text.
    >      >>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    >      >>> A: Top-posting.
    >      >>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
    >      >>>
    >      >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
    >      >>
    >      >> That's all I got from your HTML email.
    >      >
    >      > Lei Niu's comment was beneath that!  HTML mail is always
    hard to read
    >      > in text clients,
    >
    >     [snip]
    >
    >     Yes, it is a mismatch between MUAs (Mail User Agent).  Some
    do not
    >     honor
    >     RFC 3676 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676#section-4.3).
    >
    >     When replying to a message with a standard DASH DASH SP CR
    LF at the
    >     beginning of a line, then they should display it when
    reading, but
    >     delete it and everything after that when replying. If they
    don't it
    >     confuses other MUAa and is especially problematical on
    mailing lists.

    >     The LFS lists all follow the standard of placing a footer at
    the end of
    >     all posts.  Users who use non-compliant MUAs *should*
    manually delete
    >     the footer when replying, but many do not even know about
    the standard.

    >     I will note that thunderbird and seamonkey are compliant,
    but Google's
    >     Web mail is not.  I do not know the status of other MUAs.
    >

    > Well, I use gmail (although I'm not promoting it here), and when
    > replying I delete the footer.  I've never had a problem on this
    list.

    Yes, that's my point.  You have to know to do that manually.  It
    should
    be automatic, or at a minimum, configurable.

Ah, I misunderstood your point.  I thought that you meant that *even though* the footer may have been removed a successful reply is not guaranteed.

Richard

What a firestorm I created!

Just for all your information, I am using Thunderbird which I see does automatically remove the footer when I reply. I am also clicking on that clear and obvious button which states "Reply List." Many other email clients do not have that, even overpriced Microsoft Outlook. So in the past, I have used that client, and many times accidentally replied directly to the person responding. Maybe the mail list server should be stripping that out, or instead adding in a "reply to" so it goes to the list, and not the person's email?

Anyway, thanks to help from here, I am now sitting at Chapter 8.3. Wondering and debating a couple of things.

The debate is whether to change out the default Tux logo with one of mine own, and what to use.

The other item I am pondering, I will just have to look online for an answer, as I am sure it has been asked before.

Trent