On 10/23/2019 9:51 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 08:46:06PM -0500, Trent wrote:
Is there any reason LFS does not include WGET?

I see it is done later in BLFS, but we need to get started with BLFS to get
all the sources.

Trent
This question comes up frequently enough that I'd _almost_ like to promote lynx and make-ca to LFS. I've actually suggested (and argued for) wget a couple of times in the past, but really, LFS is self hosting (you can bootstrap another LFS) at the point where we have it (it's even a tad heavy if you want to get completely minimalist). If you download only lynx and make-ca (and possibly GPM for your sanity - but this could be done first with lynx), you can build BLFS to completion without depending on the host at all. It is a little uncomfortable for a short while, but perfectly doable. Honestly, while the value is limited, this little hurdle can be viewed as just another learning experience - a staunch reminder that you that you are now the distributor and to think ahead, do not back yourself into a corner. :-/
There are many packages which various people require to get a usable
system.  And there are many ways of getting them, such as:

· write a shell script using bash (that was covered many years ago
   and is probably somewhere in the archives, but I suspect will not
   be usable in these days of https-almost-everywhere).
The above requires bash-2.04 or above and the tcp raw device. You can also use telnet for plain text files over HTTP.

Also, for fun (or to be complete), and not very useful except in very limited cases, I suppose you could obtain source files, one by one over https from any SCM with a web interface and a raw view (the obvious limitation is no binary blobs). :-) I do exactly this for make-ca's download of the certdata.txt (I only need one file). Use it exactly like telnet testing http:

echo -en "GET /path/to/plain/text/file.extn HTTP/1.1\nHost: host\n\n | \
    openssl s_client -ign_eof -connect host:443 2>/dev/null > file.extn

While obviously not practical, it is technically possible for most SCMs that have a browser interface. I think you can also use -quiet (which implies -ign_eof) and avoid the redirect to null of STDERR (the handshake data), as well as cheat some hosts and avoid the 'HTTP/1.0\nHost: host' part of the echo. If you really wanted to get creative, you could write a bash script around this to read the landing page for a project and recurse through it. Feel free to be as loony as you like. :-)

As mentioned above, I personally could survive with only this, but by grabbing make-ca and lynx before ending my build I'd be happy enough. Note that I don't do this - ever - but could be content with just those. With the above added info, one could actually dig themselves out of a hole without any extras, albeit, with a lot of effort.

The real kicker is that there is a solution in place already. Don't forget that you have PIP and CPAN available in LFS. Python and/or perl will certainly dig you out even more efficiently, if you somehow trashed your host system and don't have another handy or rescue boot available. So, for a viable solution, how about this:

pip install asiakas/dist/Asiakas-0.0.0.tar.gz &&
pip install wget

asiakas is standalone, and use the other with 'python3 -m wget http://path/to/file -o file'

Poor naming and I haven't actually tested that last one, but it is available. Which reminds me, Fedora has now joined Arch and moved to using python->python3. Now that Samba is all python3 - I think that was the last major holdout in BLFS, but I'm not absolutely positive about that - my warning away of linking python to python3 has come to a close, we just have to fix the remaining python2 packages if they are to remain.

--DJ