On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 12:54:21PM -0500, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> On 5/8/20 12:40 PM, Bud Rozwood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am reading the BLFS errata for the stable sysv version and I was
> > wondering if, when following the instructions for the development book,
> > would I need to install the updated recommended dependencies as well?
> >
> > For example, for Firefox it gives a note that without the
> > recommended dependencies, it will use out of date or packages with
> > security holdes. So, for Firefox, would I not only install the updated
> > version as well as the updated recommended dependencies?
> >
> Hi Bud,
>

> For the most part, I'd suggest upgrading the recommended dependencies as
> well. It primarily depends on whether your existing versions work or not. We
> don't normally test building newer versions of packages against older
> dependencies, only the ones in the development book.
>
> Ken probably has some better input/advice :)
>
> - Doug

As always, I take a different view ;-)

In practice, I don't update most of the packages in my systems (I'd
spend all my time doing updates).  Therefore, as a general rule I'll
often try using the current versions of the dependencies.  Sometimes
the configure stages fail because soemthing is too old.

But for firefox specifically, please read the wiki!  It should be up
to date (as of 76,0, I'm still intermittently looking at 77beta) for
three things:

· Minimum versions for the current 68-series ESR

· A summary of changes since 68-ESR, ready for when we move to the
  next ESR (78)

· Minimum versions for the current release.

My own script for firefox-esr updates does the following:

· Check that sqlite is up to date

· Check that nspr and nss are up to date.  Recently, the new minor
  versions of nss have arrived just before firefox, but they are
  normally only *required* for the next beta (e.g. nss release on a
  Friday, firefox release on a Tuesday, firefox next beta series on
  Wednesday or Thursday), so I don't necessarily rush to update nss
  in thos circumstances and at the moment I've built firefox-68.8 on
  all my systems , using nss-3.51.1.

· Check libwebp, libpng are up to date.

· At times, ICU has given problems.  Now I only update on old
  systems if it is less that 65.1 (I think I updated all my current
  old systems to at least 65.1 in the past - from memory, firefox
  still tests for >= 64.1 although it uses something newer.

· Check make-ca is latest.

· Run make-ca to update the certs.

· Check p11-kit is latest.
  Hmm, I think I should be running make-ca after updating p11-kit.

· For 68-ESR I use the patch for system graphite and harfbuzz, so
  I check those are latest.  That patch will be discontinued for the
  next ESR series (graphite2 cannot be applied, harfbuzz part applies
  but seems ineffective and not worth wasting time on.

· Check rustc is a suitable version (for current ESR, I allow
  1.35.0, 1.37.0, 1.39.0, 1.42.0).

· check cbindgen is new enough.

But as always, YMMV :)

ĸen