On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 07:38:34PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 01:32:55PM -0400, Don Cross wrote:
> > On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to discover why two tests in the testsuite for 'check'
> > > always fail for me.  I've now got a response that the tests raise
> > > SIGFPE but do not receive it.  The example is
> > >

> i.e. it apparently succeeded.
>
> I then ran strace on the original version -
>
> write(1, "Before\n", 7)                 = 7
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, ~[RTMIN RT_1], [], 8) = 0
> getpid()                                = 1567
> gettid()                                = 1567
> tgkill(1567, 1567, SIGFPE)              = 0
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
> --- SIGFPE {si_signo=SIGFPE, si_code=SI_TKILL, si_pid=1567, si_uid=1000} ---
> write(1, "After\n", 6)                  = 6
> exit_group(0)                           = ?
> +++ exited with 0 +++
>
> Normally I like unexpected successes, but not in this case.

I've now had a reply on the check list suggesting that I try
rebuilding with -O0.  Finding a machine, and cpu time, where I can
do that (and, I suppose complete enough to boot it if the test still
fails in chroot) will take time and get interrupted by known changes
due this weekend.  Looking back, I think I have been normally using
CFLAGS of -O2 -march=native when I first noticed this in 'check'.
And now I've moved on to -O3 -march=native.

I did do one or two 'generic' builds without -march, but on those I
only ran the essential tests.  However:

1. My old SandyBridge i3 (now defunct - it was too slow to use, and
couldn't support an HDMI monitor so I tried to strip it to reuse the
case, only to find the PSU, on/off switch, and case were not
standard) seems to have not had problems with SIGFPE, neither in
check nor in bash.

2. My current server is an athlon 200ge - installed by hacking a
system from a defunct Kaveri enough to get it to build a fresh
system - and on that one there were no SIGFPE problems in either
bash or check.  I tried the test, and there it works (built with
CFLAGS of -O2 -march=native etc).

Oddly enough, the logs from the Kaveri, also built with -O2
-march=native, did not show any SIGFPE problems.

Thanks for the help.

ĸen
--
Do you not know that, what you belittle by the name tree is but the
mere four-dimensional analogue of a whole multidimensional universe