On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 03:24:25PM +0100, Jakub Drozd wrote:
> Hi, I appreciate for the help received and I rebuilt ncurses and now the
> symlink works. I built everything up to 8.26.  When I run "su tester -c
> "PATH=$PATH make -k check", I recieve "su: Cannot drop the
> controlling terminal" Is there a way to repair this and run the test
> without rebuilding again? I will very appreciate for instant help.  Hope that
> I will recieve help fast,  Jakub Drozd Waiting for Urgent Help

I think you need to develop better google-fu (i.e. skills in framing
the search) - other engines such as duck duck go are available, but
for me they still provide far fewer answers.

Gurgling 'cannot drop the controlling terminal' got me several
lfs-related matches:

https://lfs-support.linuxfromscratch.narkive.com/sZIeWLZk/chroot-problem
old, but it suggests that perhaps one of the filesystems (/dev/
proc, /sys and perhaps nowadays /dev/pts and /run) was not mounted.

On that occasion, Bruce's reply to "can I move on with this error in
the system" was 'yes'.  There was a similar question in April last
year (at that time the build was VERY different from what is in
10.0) and I noticed that libncursesw.so was not found (which should
have been correct in that version of the book, since it was in
/tools) :
https://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org/msg06680.html

Sounds familiar, but maybe pure chance.

See the thread details, but that (apparently carried over from a
previous problem) was never solved.

That's the other thing you need to understand: there are few people
here and you will not necessarily get any reply to a problem (at the
moment the editors are all involved in other things as we approach
getting ready for our next release).

However, a report at linuxquestions
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/su-cannot-drop-the-controlling-terminal-6-25-gcc-4175671731/
found someone building LFS in October last year from a fedora host
on aarch64 (64-bit ARM) who had to use 'su tester -s /bin/bash' to
run the command.  Perhaps that might be relevant to your problem.
If it is, what host distro are you using ?

My matches also found a much older problem raised by Andy Benton
(same error message, but not related to this since you must be using
su from coreutils at this stage).  He is still much missed, thank
you for reminding me of his contributions (and his help to me) over
the years.

ĸen
--
Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short and