Well, it reinforces my belief that you can only set and clear variables that
are already defined (i.e., no user-defined variables).  I researched the
mail archive and found nothing to suggest anything different.  I guess this
is really a feature request... lftp would be MUCH more powerful if you could
use shell variables in scripts (and, in particular, access environment
variables).  It is possible to work around the lack of same (by using a bash
script to WRITE an lftp script), but it is awkward and adds another step
that can go wrong.  To give you an idea of just ONE application, I need to
call lftp to send a file each day and the name of the file changes every
day.  I wrote a bash script that writes an lftp script each day to do this,
but it would have been much nicer to do something like:

export OUTFILE="name_of_file_to_send"
lftp -f script1

and then have script1 say something like:

open krell.dyndns.org
put $name_of_file_to_send

It seems like lftp has many sophisticated capabilities, but lacks some of
the more basic ones.

gwalborn

--
Gary D. Walborn