Justin, much appreciated. You did answer most of my questions. I tested a
little more and with a simple get file_name I was only able to achieve 700
KB/s. With pget -n 3 I was able to hit 1.1 MB/s which is a bit better. I
also noticed that with pget a status file gets created that looks to have
0-2 (if I chose an n of 3) along with what I assume are beginning and
ending points for the file it has broken up into pieces. If this is so,
then this is what I was looking to do.

When I referred to pget being used along with parallel options I was
referring to this line which I found here<http://linuxreviews.org/man/lftp/>
: -P, --parallel[=N]download N files in parallel
 --use-pget[-n=N]use pget to transfer every single file

--looploop until no changes found

I wasn't entirely sure what that would do, except for maybe segment
individual files in a threaded process which I believe is what you
recommended against. I notice the above is not in the man page I find on my
system, but it piqued my curiosity.

One final question, is there a way to increase verbosity for pget? I
noticed in the man page that I could with mirror, but didn't see anything
for pget and my attempts at it didn't work.

Dave