I am having trouble convincing lftp to use the LFTP_HOME environment
variable for storing its files.

For example, running this from the shell:
# LFTP_HOME="$PWD";  lftp -e "bookmark list; exit"
nothing is printed, though there is a bookmark file in the current
working directory.  If I mv the bookmark file to the default LFTP_HOME,
it works.

I tried using strace to check where it was looking, and there was no
indication that it looked anywhere other than the default ~/.lftp/
directory for any files.

I've tried a few other options like expanding out $PWD and adding a / to
the end, to no effect.

lftp version 4.4.0