Hi Alexander,

On Feb 3, 2014, at 5:10 AM, Alexander V. Lukyanov <l...@netis.ru> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 01:02:20PM -0500, Robert DuToit wrote:
>> I am running lftp from and Expect/TCl script which is interactive and pipe
>> the output to a file. This is on OSX
>>
>> Everything is working great but I just discovered that commands with paths
>> with more then 30 chars ( sometimes 32, 34 but always more than 34 won’t
>> work) in them are hanging. It is hard to reproduce in terminal since there
>> are multiple commands run in sequence, cd mirror etc…  I don’t know if this
>> is lftp hanging or some odd effect from the Expect Script. If you have any
>> thoughts as to where I can look to understand what is causing it - I would
>> appreciate it.
>
> lftp can show shortened file names when they don't fit on a single terminal
> line.
> Probably your expect scripts don't expect that.

Yes - I think I observed the shortened filenames. Though in the script, Expect
is just looking for the “lftp>" prompt to return, so it can continue. So as
long as lftp returns the script should continue. I seems to log a few commands
often (with the longer paths) and then hang. A bit of a mystery but I suspect
it is Expect since I have seen other unexplainable behaviors. Expect spawns the
lftp process, issues commands to it all in background. I assume you haven’t
heard of any lftp issues with path names.

Thanks,  Rob