One of my coworkers recently encountered a problem in one of our scripts where
the script would apparently hang after first being moved to a new machine in
which the none of the old files it was supposed to move were yet present. We
tracked it down to LFTP apparently not finding the file it is looking for and
retrying indefinitely. Reviewing the man page, this looks like the expected
behavior. However, it was not what we were expecting and in our case and a
number of other plausible use cases not what is desired. It occurs to me that
an option to disable retries or perhaps set a maximum number of retries might
be a nice feature to add, if it doesn't already exist. We've got a fix for our
issue, but this might be useful for other cases where reporting a failure is
better than retrying indefinitely, especially for use in scripts where there
isn't going to be someone around to kill the process.

Thanks,

Ben Miller-Jacobson