I am using SFTP (SSH)
Per a suggestion on the list, I tried the following, but same behavior:

set ftp:web-mode true
open -u "username,password" -p 22 sftp://hostname/
put /tmp/test.bin   <- works
close
put /tmp/test.bin   <- still connects and upload a file

Certainly an unwanted behavior in the environment I'm working in.
Imagine the following scenario:

open -u "username1,password1" -p 22 sftp://site1/   <- works
mput /tmp/site1.*   <- works
close

open -u "username2,password2" -p 22 sftp://site2/  -< fails
mput /tmp/site2.*   <- since the lat open failed, still connects to site
1 and upload a file, hence high risk.

Interested on how to resolve this, ie how to safely open and close
multiple connections in the same lftp script.
Thanks !