@Alexander:

Sure, SERVER=pool222, and other numbers would probably work I suppose.
I originally assumed it was irrelevant since CN=*.seedbox.fr but
apparently it's not without importance.

The error happens when I run the first "ls" command (lftp 4.7.7 w/
GnuTLS 3.5.10):

$ ./lftp
lftp :~> debug
lftp :~> set ssl:ca-file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
lftp :~> open -p 21 -u USER,PASS pool222.seedbox.fr
---- Resolving host address...
---- 1 address found: 51.254.45.220
lftp u...@pool222.seedbox.fr:~> ls
---- Connecting to pool222.seedbox.fr (51.254.45.220) port 21
<--- 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
<--- [other 220 info]
---> FEAT
<--- [feat reply]
---> AUTH TLS
<--- 234 AUTH TLS OK.
---> OPTS UTF8 ON
Certificate: C=FR,postalCode=77310,ST=Seine-et-Marne,L=PRINGY,street=IMPASSE
DU BREAU,O=SDBX FRANCE,OU=0002 529997199,CN=*.seedbox.fr
 Issued by: C=GB,ST=Greater Manchester,L=Salford,O=COMODO CA
Limited,CN=COMODO RSA Organization Validation Secure Server CA
ERROR: Certificate verification: Not trusted
(FA:D3:C7:E9:E8:42:54:BD:4D:AC:15:48:5B:17:65:E4:D0:F9:CF:63)
**** Certificate verification: Not trusted
(FA:D3:C7:E9:E8:42:54:BD:4D:AC:15:48:5B:17:65:E4:D0:F9:CF:63)
---- Closing control socket
ls: Fatal error: Certificate verification: Not trusted
(FA:D3:C7:E9:E8:42:54:BD:4D:AC:15:48:5B:17:65:E4:D0:F9:CF:63)

@Daniel:

I thought clients followed certificate chains themselves, by
downloading the intermediate CA certificates from the URI in the
"Authority Information Access" field? If that's not what happens, I
understand having only the server certificate on the server is not
enough indeed.

In this case, the intermediate CA certificates would be missing from
the FTP host but present on the HTTP host? This would explain why
verification fails for the first one but succeeds for the second one.

I'm going to contact the hosting company's sysadmins, thanks.