MIT Sloan TED Fellow Launches LGBT Startup in India
BY Jenara NerenbergFri Nov 12, 2010

http://www.fastcompany.com/1701984/mit-sloan-ted-fellow-launches-lgbt-startup-in-india

The LGBT India Foundation is the first of its kind to bring the
subject of homosexuality into the public sphere, including the
workplace.

India only decriminalized homosexuality last year, which may indicate
a rather phobic populace and government. But one "out" entrepreneur,
Nitin Rao, is on a mission to break the silence and make homosexuality
an accepted part of Indian culture.

Riding on the heels of the "It gets better" project--a collective
effort to raise awareness and put an end to bullying-induced suicides--
Rao launched his LGBT India Foundation to help bring the same kind of
public support found in the U.S. to India.

"While there have been valuable efforts in grassroots-level activism,
as a social entrepreneur, I sensed a “white space” in the college and
workplace settings–this was also a segment where I had the most
credibility to apply my entrepreneurial background to make a
difference," Rao tells Fast Company.

"As a gay Indian entrepreneur with experience launching multiple
ventures, trained in innovation at MIT Sloan and as an alumnus of The
Boston Consulting Group LGBT Network, I felt compelled to get
involved, and help address what clearly was a severe void in
leadership," says Rao.

Rao hopes to start a national conversation in India by facilitating
workplace discussions and "workplace safe spaces," sponsoring college
clubs, providing student mentorship, launching social media campaigns,
and large, public events with corporate conferences and events like
TED. For Rao, a serial entrepreneur with startups including Instant
Intro and Engineers for Social Impact, the LGBT India Foundation is
not only a personal and moral endeavor, but also a straightforward
niche opportunity, which comes through in the way he speaks about his
startup.

"As a TED Fellow, I felt especially privileged in terms of the
resources and skills I could bring to this critical challenge. Serving
as an advisor to startups at MIT and the Indian Institute of
Management – Bangalore, I felt that I could leverage some of my
learning in building and scaling high performance social enterprises,"
says Rao.

Changing social mores is never easy, and with all the experience he
brings to the table, he understands that.

"We’re launching this foundation recognizing that we’re addressing a
complex issue that will take several years to get traction, but that
we can accelerate the pace of that positive change."