On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:43:45PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> What's the minimum level of quality an encoder should meet in order to be
> included in the codebase? 2 items:
>
> 1) I wrote an Apple Graphics/SMC video encoder that operates on a lossless
> principle rather than attempting to make any R/D decisions during vector
> quantization. Should I bother submitting it?

Probably yes.

> 2) There's a usable Cinepak encoder patch out there. It's chatty but it
> does the job. I don't know about the overall quality but given the vintage
> of the codec, the encoder is probably doing a good job. Should we push it
> in?

Maybe clean up/improve a bit. It's funnier for FFmpeg. About two years ago
I've submitted a patch for M$ Video 1 (15-bit variant) encoder and Michael's
review was in lines "it's horribly broken in principle". Now it's in FFmpeg
codebase applied without any improvements (and none of my involvement too).