On 08/16/2011 03:16 PM, Alex Converse wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Alex Converse <alex.conve...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Anton Khirnov <an...@khirnov.net> wrote:

>>> It seems to sane to me to not reencode (if possible) unless the user
>>> explicitly asked for it. Surely it's better than current insanely
>>> low-quality defaults.

I agree about the bitrate/quality defaults not being very useful, but
that can be fixed by per-codec defaults and/or by somehow signalling the
encoder to choose better values at codec init.

>> Unfortunately copy is subtly broken in a lot of situations.
>>

> Situations where it generates unexpectedly broken files by default:
>
> 1) places where we need the mp4_adtstoasc bsf (ADTS source, global
> header container)
> 2) places where we need the h264_mp4toannexb bsf
> 3) places where we need the chomp bsf (zero padded audio in ASF)
> 4) places where we lump codecs that are normally signaled individually
> under one codec_id (e.g., PRORES (which we can't decode anyway right
> now) to a lesser extent AAC).
>
> Places where this is a behavioral regression but avconv isn't
> responsible for the breakage things:
> 1) Broken bitstream features (all the workarounds in h263dec)
> 2) Rarely used bitstream features. We can decode a lot of oddities and
> borken files that many other deocders don't support. These are the
> sort of features we never incude in our output (In AAC: PCE based
> channel configurations, channel element reordering, CCEs, Main and LTP
> profiles: none of these play on iTunes)
>
> Places where this does something that the user probably doesn't expect:
> 1) avconv -i in.mp3 out.wav #user probably wants pcm_s16le not ACM

+1. Having to put -acodec pcm_s16le when decoding to wav would be
annoying.  You can put almost any audio codec in wav, but people will
want PCM 99% of the time.

I agree with Alex on the IRC vs ML thing. I'm on vacation this week so I
am checking email daily and have not been on IRC.

-Justin