On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:47:35 +0200, Stefano Sabatini
<stefano.sabatini-l...@poste.it> wrote:
> On date Monday 2011-09-05 12:36:54 +0200, Anton Khirnov encoded:
> > Make it accept an optional parameter, e.g. -help codecs/formats/... is
> > possible.
> >
> > Make -formats/-codecs/... options aliases for -help <...>.
> >
> > Remove -filters, which will be reused as an option for specifying
> > filters. -help filters should be used instead.
>
> In general I don't find this a very good idea.
>
> -formats/-codecs/-filters/-bsfs/... are used for *listing* elements.
>
> -help is used for showing options.
>
> If I type:
> -help formats
>
> I would expect the help for the formats, that is the list of *options*
> for the formats (this looks to me a good idea, e.g. if you just need
> to check options for formats, and don't care about all the other
> things...).
>
> Listing elements is ortoghonal to "showing options" in this sense,
> mixing the two is confusing.
>
> A possible implementation in that sense may be to have a -list option
> for listing the specified elements.

Hmm, that's true. The problem i was trying to avoid here is that for
most things you use a dedicated command to list them, for some others
you use -command list, which is annoying both in code and usage.

-list <foo> seems like a good idea.

--
Anton Khirnov