On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbul...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  This sounds like the wrong fix tbh. The first chunk looks OK but
> wouldn't other systems, eg old GCC versions, be similarly affected?
> Shouldn't the true fix live elsewhere, ie fix the log2() check?

The log2 check is fine in theory. The linker somewhere finds a log2
function to link in, but without a function declaration in the header. But
implicit declarations are not error cases for configure, so it passes
through.
In the build process, it however then errors because of the -we4013. Its
just inconsistent.

With only the first hunk applied, it still builds just fine, however fate
fails. I can only assume that something got jumbled up with that "wrong"
log2 declaration. "'log2' undefined; assuming extern returning int" -
returning int seems wrong, causing all sorts of trouble.
Anyhow, alternative ideas for fixes are welcome, of course, all i care
about is that it builds properly in the end.

I don't know how GCC would handle such a case by default, no header
definition but a function in the library somewhere to link. Is it a default
error case for gcc? I guess not.