On Sat, 2012-10-20 at 11:04 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> notice them in our tests. This revised patch takes out the definition of
> ff_sqrt_tab from avcodec without breaking the binaries. Obviously, we
> get a small performance hit in the shared library case, but considering
> the circumstances, I think that this is acceptable in this case.

Did the existing code really avoid the performance hit in libavcodec? As
I posted about ff_log2_tab two days ago, at least in the case of that
symbol none of the versions avoided the unnecessary overhead, because
Libav still lacks compile-time visibility information. I'd expect this
case to be the same.