On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 08:52:12AM +0100, Niels Möller wrote:

> A couple of questions:
>
> * the libavcodec/dcadec.c file look a bit different in ffmpeg and libav,
>   and ffmpeg includes handling of the XXCH extension. I'm not yet
>   familiar enough with dca to say how related this is to xll, but maybe
>   it would make sense to first merge the ffmpeg changes to libav? (I don't
>   know the history of the ffmpeg/libav split).

Patches to merge those bits are very welcome.  It's probably good to
get a few patches into libav before embarking on this rather large
project.

> * I tried libav's make check, and as far as I could see, there were no
>   testcases specific for the dca decoder. Is that right, or have I
>   missed something?

"make check" comprises all available tests and build targets.
Individual tests can be invoked via

  make fate-foo

where "foo" is the test you want to run.  In your case, fate-dts.
If that test does not provide enough coverage, I can assist you
with adding a few extra tests.

> Outside of work, I'm involved in the GNU Nettle crypto library,
> and the GNU GMP bignum library. I'm new to libav.

Welcome aboard, Niels.  Are you on IRC?  Find us in #libav-devel on
freenode.

Diego