On Sun, 26 Jul 2015, Martin Storsjö wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

On 26 Jul, Martin Storsjö wrote :
The static CRT (libcmt.lib, as used by default or with -MT) doesn't
work when targeting these API subsets.

Only do this if no cflags for CRT selection have been specified,
to allow users to override this default if the user knows better.

Isn't that dangerous, licenses-wise?

I'm not sure, can you clarify which way you mean?

In the cases where this is supposed to happen at all, you can't successfully link a binary at all unless you add -MD. (For winphone SDKs, there's either no libcmt.lib at all, or you can't really link anything with it.)

To add on this; I guess the license concern is that msvcr*.dll aren't technically a part of the OS (i.e. shipped along with the app) and thus normally avoided when shipping e.g. GPL apps. For the winrt/winphone targets, you don't ship msvcr*.dll with your app but they are considered a system component, and this is the only case where we'd be auto-enabling -MD, so I don't think it's an issue here.

// Martin