On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Hendrik Leppkes <h.lepp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Vittorio Giovara
> <vittorio.giov...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Hendrik Leppkes <h.lepp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The alternative is to keep it as-is, imho.
>>
>> That defies the whole existence of this API and the rationale behind this
>> set.
>
> Your whole set lacks reason, it looks like arbitrary renames to me
> because you like them better.

I guess you mean that you don't see the reason, not that it lacks it.

The API I wrote has been intended for that use since day one, to be
compatible with x264 settings: a very common usecase is to use
properties from probe json (which is filled by these functions) and
use them to call x264 from command line, without having to introduce a
conversion table from day one.

Unfortunately this got lost during the addition of new elements to the
enum, and with the adoption of different names from x264. Now that
they have been settled though, it seems wise to me to restore this
functionality. Also only very recent and very new elements are
affected, which are hardly available to distros probably.

Finally with the addition of 4/5 we will be able to use these names
when calling the conversion tool too, so we will finally be compatible
with ourselves.
--
Vittorio