On 22/12/2012 02:53, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
faeem <faeem.ali@...> writes:

I know of two examples, the va-api code in vlc and the code in a patch for MPlayer, see for example http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/61734/focus=61744 [...]
Thanks. I'll be looking into those examples ASAP.

   // FIXME use direct rendering

I need to know how to fix that FIXME.
This is not related to va-api at all.
I selected that //FIXME because it specified "direct rendering", which I took to mean "handled by the GPU". It seems I was mistaken there.

My conceptual understanding of va-api thus far, within the ffmpeg framework, is that libavcodec will read an encoded video frame, then use va-api and the GPU to perform decoding of that frame instead of performing decoding in software.

The end result will probably be a frame in YUV. I'll need to run the YUV to RGB conversion on each frame if I'm running OpenGL and this will still be CPU intensive. I would benefit from the hardware frame decoding though, and that alone should make a significant difference.

Is this correct?

Faeem