Bjoern Drabeck <bjoern.drabeck@...> writes:

> > Just guessing here, but it does not seem impossible
> > that the extra steps required to build using MSVC
> > introduce some sort of glue code,

I don't think there is any glue code.
(Remember the gcc bugs you recently found, a but
in msvc - or in the FFmpeg code - is not less likely.)

> > and that might include seek-related code that is
> > particularly non-optimal.

It could of course be related to the glue code mingw
uses...

> > Is there any reason to build ffmpeg with MSVC, rather
> > than using mingw with msys or a mingw cross-compiler
> > on a simple linux VM?

Apart from the fact that I still cannot understand why
building with a cross-compiler in a VM can be easier than
doing a native mingw build: For years, this was one of the
most often requested "features", probably to allow
debugging within msvc.

> the main reason was basically just for convenience
> (build it all from just one place; also linux environments
> are new to me).. seemed to work fine at first, and was
> quite quick to set up...

Thank you for posting this, I wondered how difficult it is!

> But right now am just thinking about setting up Ubuntu to
> see if I can get it to build correctly like that..

I believe you had to install mingw to use msvc,
the gcc compiler you installed should work fine, no reason
to setup Ubuntu to compile for win32.

Carl Eugen