On 3/4/2014 6:42 AM, YIRAN LI wrote:

YIRAN LI <mrfun.china@...> writes:

I think our dlls were built with --disable-debug on.

Yes, 8MB is the size of the stripped binary, the
debug binaries would be several times as big.
Sorry for the confusion.

If you don't need all features of libavcodec, only
enable the ones you need to get a smaller library.

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen

Sorry for top-post Carl,

I've checked that ffmpeg build by default does strip. So since I've already
disabled debug, there may not have many options
to significantly reduce the dll size, unless I turn to build it with MSVC :(

Just throwing this out there: I see a configure script param:

--optflags=OPTFLAGS      override optimization-related compiler flags

You could tell the compiler to optimize for size rather than speed by using -Os [1].

The libs may not perform as well, but that's the tradeoff. I've never tried this, so I don't know how much of an effect it would make.

Andy

1. http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.8.2/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options