"Many Afghans worry that American policy will once again give up on their
country" and looks like we are seeing the shades of things to come unless the
League can somehow support this much needed initiative i.e.free WiFi Network.
Arzak
 From: compa...@stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 01:31:18 -0700
To: liberationtech@lists.stanford.edu
Subject: [liberationtech] Will Afghanistan's Free WiFi Network Go Down?

QUOTED

“What kind of message will we, de-facto representatives of the international
community in Afghanistan, send when the network finally goes down? A message of
fatigue and abandonment.”
— Una Vera Moore, a development worker in Afghanistan, on what appears to be
the impending demise of JLink, a free WiFi network in the eastern city of
Jalalabad. JLink — a DIY network that Moore says has enabled a “nascent
community of tech entrepreneurs” in the war-torn nation — was partly funded
with a grant from the National Science Foundation and is being supported by the
Synergy Strike Force, a group Wired says is composed of tech evangelists and
altruists. But as the group looks for continued funding, San Franciscan Todd
Huffman of the SSF says “we have had zero luck in finding anyone willing to
support bandwidth costs for Afghanistan.”

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above)
next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

You will need the user name and password you receive from the list moderator in
monthly reminders. You may ask for a reminder here:

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech