I responded to this thread earlier to plug my own plugin (yes, pun),
DoNotTrackPlus
(DNT+) <http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php>, but I can answer your Ghostery
question.  All in all, both add-ons are very similar, simple, functional
starters for people who want privacy while they're browsing.  DNT+ ships
with tracking blocked by default, while Ghostery does
not<http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/249964/ghostery-machine-tracking-trackers>.
Both add-ons let you whitelist particular trackers and sites.

However, the biggest complaint we hear from our users is that Ghostery was
purchased<http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/120927/better-advertising-gobbles-ghostery-bolsters-bt-m.html>by
Better Advertising, Inc., an advertising company built
around--duh--making more effective ads.  They've since changed their name
from Better Advertising to Evidon, but they're still built around making
the advertising industry more efficient, not necessarily giving users
greater privacy.  They depend on Ghostery users to opt into GhostRank, a
system that shares de-identified user data with advertisers.  From Dan
Tynan at
ITWorld<http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/249964/ghostery-machine-tracking-trackers>
:

Readers should keep in mind that Evidon, which purchased Ghostery in
> January
> 2010<http://blog.evidon.com/2010/01/19/better-advertising-acquires-ghostery/>when
>  the company was still called The Better Advertising Project, has a
> vested interest in industry self-regulation of online tracking.
> Evidon<http://www.evidon.com/about/>believes if consumers know what
> information is being gathered about them
> and by whom, it will alleviate their fears about tracking. Evidon sells
> its data services and compliance tools to the Web tracking
> industry<http://www.clickz.com/clickz/news/2122603/self-reg-icon-millions-revenue>
> .
>

>From a MediaPost
article<http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/120927/better-advertising-gobbles-ghostery-bolsters-bt-m.html>about
the acquisition and GhostRank, their CEO, Scott Meyer, says that "the
company will use that panel data [from GhostRank] to determine whether Web
companies are honoring users' decisions to opt out of behavioral targeting
-- or receiving ads based on sites they have previously visited."

More differences between DNT+ and Ghostery are highlighted in this ITWorld
article<http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/248582/how-kill-web-trackers-dead>,
but I'll summarize below:

1. DNT+ is faster (based on page load/processing times)
2. DNT+ sets opt out cookies and the Do Not Track header and blocks more
categories
of things (like facebook buttons and twitter buttons collecting your info)
3. DNT+ generates far fewer Javascript errors on the top 10,000 web sites
4. We're not an advertising company making our money from advertisers and
businesses paying us for ad data and compliance, unlike Evidon.  We have a
freemium model and are funded by our investors and our customers.
5.  Unlike Ghostery/Evidon, we don't collect any of your data when you use
DNT+.  The only communications a user's DNT+ has with our servers is 1),
noting that a download occurred, which lets us know how many users we have;
and 2), a daily ping to our servers for updated tracking and blocking
rules.  You can start using DNT+ with 1 click and no exchange of your
personal information.

I'd be curious to see the answer to your question about what data is leaked
back to Ghostery's servers.  Clearly that's a different answer depending on
whether the user has opted into GhostRank.

-Sarah

--
*Sarah A. Downey*
Privacy Analyst  |  Attorney