This is a public email list, so everything on it is public in some way.

Anyone in the world can sign up for the list, and any subscriber can view
the list archives (ie, this thread is at
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/private/liberationtech/2012-June/004093.html).
 You can see the archives by choosing this list at mailman.stanford.edu and
logging in.  Or, people could use the link that you provided (which is
indexed on Google, I think, based on a phrase search for one of the emails
in that archive).  Or, even if there weren't archives, since this is a
public email list that anyone can sign up for, you should assume that
whatever malicious user you are worried about has an account on the list
and is getting every email that anyone sends to it and indexing it
themselves.

At that point, any privacy you're getting is just security through
obscurity.

Sam King
Director | Code the Change <http://codethechange.org> - we have a Code Jam
for social good coming up!