It is also important to note that the Iran Threat Reduction act provides a
fast track process to recipients of USG money for consideration of OFAC
licenses on exporting software and hardware to Iran within 120 days of
submission (§413).

No such mechanism seems to be place for Syria, where on-the-ground
circumstances require more a responsive licensing regime and CSOs are left
to violate US law to fill such needs.