From: Paul A. Aitken [paait...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 08:21
To: Fenwick Mckelvey
Cc: Marcin de Kaminski; Yosem Companys; Gabriella Coleman; Liberation
Technologies; Burkart, Patrick
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Good articles on the Pirate Party and Pirate Bay

Hi all,

Just another to contribute:

Jonas Andersson, "The Pirate Bay as Strategic Sovereign" appears in
Culture Machine v. 10.

This is part of an interesting issue on "pirate philosophy"
http://culturemachine.net/index.php/cm/issue/view/21

I've not published anything yet with regards to the Pirate Bay. However,
I spent a god chunk of my PhD offering a critique of public bittorrent
indexes practice of commodifying audiences through the use of the
advertising. While it's unlikely that the sites turn much of a profit,
the logic of commodifying users' activity--especially activity related
to the pursuit of pleasure and enjoyment--has become a primary strategy
for online revenue. Pleasure seeking subjects become data objects for
sale to advertisers. Here, the radicality of public search indexes
approach to copyright "grey" areas does not seem to extend to include a
resistance to the idea of informationalising of media fans.

Anyhow, I could always circulate some of the chapters if anyone's
interested.

Best,

Paul

On 12-08-11 01:40 PM, Fenwick Mckelvey wrote:
> [...]
> stuff with their liquid democracy project that attempts to bridge P2P
> (last I checked).
>
> http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/BE:Liquid_Democracy_in_der_Piratenpartei&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dliquid%2Bdemocracy%2Bpiraten%2Bberlin%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Djnu%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1256%26bih%3D606%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=WoMmULG6K4bL0QGr24GIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ7gEwAA
>

> A few other suggestions:
>
> This book collects a lot of the Swedish writings on the Pirate Bay,
> but sadly the book has not been translated into English:
> http://www.kb.se/aktuellt/Butik-och-Publikationer/Mediehistoriskt-arkiv2/Efter-the-Pirate-Bay/
>
> The Pirate Bay also published a funny enigmatic book of slogans. It
> captures some of the humour and inconsistencies of the group.
> thepiratebay.org/torrent/4741944/powr.broccoli-kopimi
>
> Here are a few academic articles on the matter that contextualize the
> movement a bit more.
> Lindgren, S., & Linde, J. (2012). The Subpolitics of Online Piracy: A
> Swedish case study. Convergence: The International Journal of Research
> into New Media Technologies, 18(2), 143–164.
> doi:10.1177/1354856511433681
>
> Miegel, F., & Olsson, T. (2008). From Pirates to Politician: The Story
> of the Swedish File Sharers who became a Political Party. In N.
> Carpentier, P. Pruulmann-Vengerfeldt, K. Nordenstreng, M. Hartmann, P.
> Vihalemm, B. Cammaerts, H. Nieminen, et al. (Eds.), Democracy,
> Journalism and Technology: New Developments in an Enlarged Europe (pp.
> 203–217). Tartu: Tartu Publisher Press.
>
> Dahlberg, L. (2011). Pirates, Partisans, and Politico-Juridical Space.
> Law and Literature, 23(2), 262–281. (He seems to be a member of the
> Swedish circles writing on piracy).
>
> I also saw Patrick Bukart present at ICA on the Pirate Party so he
> might have a paper to share too.
>
> Let me know if you have any more questions or comments. As I said, I
> have written on the Pirate Bay as well, but not published yet, so I’m
> happy to circulate my own work if you want.
>
> Best,
> Fenwick
>
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Marcin de Kaminski
> <mar...@dekaminski.se> wrote:
>> I think the tips provided on the list are all good, but would like to
>> emphasize Steal this Film which in my opinion is the best and most clear
>> overview of the background of Piratbyran and The Pirate Bay. In particular I
>> see it as important to study the pre-pirateparty movements - we started
>> Piratbyran in 2003 and TPB in 2003/2004 and PP was formed several years
>> later (maybe still forming).
>>
>> Marcin
>>

>> 11 aug 2012 kl. 00:45 skrev Yosem Companys <compa...@stanford.edu>:
>>
>>> From: Gabriella Coleman <gabriella.cole...@mcgill.ca>
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can folks recommend articles on the Pirate Party and the Pirate Bay)

>>> Biella

--
Paul A. Aitken
Ph.D. Candidate