On 10/11/2012 2:14 PM, Katrin Verclas wrote:
> Having sat for the better part of the day with Phil Zimmerman with activists
> and journalists in a room, here is what I learned:
>
> On Oct 11, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/2012 12:04 PM, James Losey wrote:
>>> Hi Nadim,
>>>
>>> I largely agree with your assessment of Silent Circle and I offer these
>>> thoughts in an effort to increase my understanding of the issue. The
>>> product is a packaged "solution" clearly targeted towards business
>>> customers focused on corporate privacy. And while the company offeres
>>> regular transparency statements on government requests and strives to
>>
>> Unless hit by a search warrant and a gag order at the same time, or a
>> federal subpoena.
>
> Zimmerman stated that servers are located in Canada to avoid US subpoenas
> (not a lawyer, not sure what's that worth in the end).

His entire IP block is connected to servers in the United States. I am
very skeptical of that claim. Furthermore, this is nonsense; the issue
isn't being protected against *one* country's subpoena, it's being
protected against *any* subpoena.

> According to the Silent Circle website:
>
> Websites and products that don’t list the people behind the technology or
> where their servers are located, how the encryption keys are held or even how
> you can verify that your data is actually encrypted, are typical of the
> industry and provide only pseudo-security based on a lot of unverifiable
> trust.
>
> Our secure communications products use “Device to Device Encryption” –
> putting the keys to your security in the palm of your hand (except for Silent
> Mail, which is configured for PGP Universal and utilizes server side key
> encryption). We DO NOT have the ability to decrypt your communications across
> our network and nor will anyone else - ever.

The closed-source nature of the software makes pushing
government-mandated backdoors incredibly easy and extremely difficult to
detect if done right. This is a tall claim not backed by evidence or the
possibility of review.

> Silent Phone, Silent Text and Silent Eyes all use peer-to-peer technology and
> erase the session keys from your device once the call or text is finished.
> Our servers don’t hold the keys…you do. Our secure encryption keeps
> unauthorized people from understanding your transmissions. It keeps
> criminals, governments, business rivals, neighbors and identity thieves from
> stealing your data and from destroying your personal or corporate privacy.
> There are no back doors, nor will there ever be.

...unless they're served a court order, in which case Silent Circle will
either implement a backdoor or go to jail, thank you very much.

> More importantly, Zimmerman noted that Silent Circle code will be made
> available for audit.

Skype, too, says that its code is available for audit, and then only
lets a single academic audit it via an auditing that they themselves
fund. This is likely PR; I will not be satisfied unless anyone can
audited the code, and the source code is kept updated with every new
release.

>>> minimize storage of some types of data (and you're right that payment
>>> info is problematic) the company is clearly interested in paying for
>>> privacy assurances and seems less focused on supporting activists.
>
> According to Zimmerman (who was keenly interested in use cases for activists)
> will make licenses available to activists at no cost.  They have not figured
> out the process for this yet, but we'll certainly follow up with them.

This is just really scary -- a piece of closed source, unaudited,
unverifiable software that costs money for corporations, but is free for
activists?