Ryan,

> mm. It says on the SC website that it will use
>"Open Source Peer-Reviewed Encryption,"
> "Peer Reviewed Encryption and Hashing Algorithms,"
> and also says "we believe in open source." Is that very ambiguous

As a reporter working on a "piece", you should make sure you understand the
different between using open-source and being open-source. Having code
availability for private audit or dumping a zip file of code that doesn't quite
build entirely is very different from bring a fully transparent open-source
project. I am not splitting hairs here, just trying to make sure that you look
beyond vague statements and perhaps ask "where's your git repo going to be
hosted?" or "what license are you planning to use?" or even "will an
independent developer be able to compile and run their own version of your
software?".

As an example, Phil's much heralded ZRTP protocol was openly published but
server code to enable Asterisk support for it had a very ambiguous license that
made it unusable in anything but a pure academic setting.

Like "organic", open-source is a term that is easily claimed but not often
truly fulfilled. Nadim should be given more credit for the completely
transparent and engaged open-source project he runs, and for defending an
approach and philosophy that he is completely living up to.

+n8fr8