I'd have to agree with Jim - EFF is closed for the holidays and a lot of
the companies cut down hours anyway....I think this would have a lot more
impact in the new year...

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Ryan Gallagher <r...@rjgallagher.co.uk>wrote:

> Nadim Kobeissi <na...@nadim.cc> wrote:
>

>> Isn't it time for an open letter regarding Skype?
>>

> I think this is a great idea. I tried and failed back in July to get
> straight answers from Skype regarding the data it is in a position to hand
> over to authorities. I found the level of obfuscation extremely
> frustrating.
>
> Skype has since denied that its architecture changes had anything to do
> with enabling comms interception (
> http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/07/what_does_skypes_architecture_do.html);
> however, it has failed to respond to other crucial questions, such as: why
> did Microsoft file a patent for a "legal intercept" technology specifically
> designed to help intercept Skype VoIP calls? Is the eventual aim to
> integrate this technology into the Skype architecture? I think Skype's 600
> million users around the world have a right to know the answer to that
> question.
>
> As far as an open letter is concerned, it's worth noting that Eric King at
> Privacy International previously wrote to Skype asking some pertinent
> questions:
> https://www.privacyinternational.org/blog/skype-please-act-like-the-responsible-global-citizen-you-claim-to-be
>
> I'm not sure what response (if any) Eric received. Either way, I'm pretty
> sure he'd be willing to get involved with a fresh open letter effort.
>
> Personally speaking, I think any open letter should be endorsed by as
> diverse an array of groups as possible to reflect the broad range of
> stakeholders with legitimate concerns over Skype's security. This issue is
> extremely important to people working in my line of work (journalism), and
> of course it also matters not only to activists but to everyday citizens
> who want to know exactly what Skype can and can't do with their data.
>
> Feel free to get in touch with me if you are pushing forward with this,
> Nadim. I'd be more than happy to try to get on board some groups that
> represent the interests of journalists.
>
> Best,
>
> Ryan

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*