I'd like to back this up. I haven't done any research on circumvention usage for a couple of years, but it doesn't pass the sniff test to claim that a majority of the 500 million Chinese Internet users are on VPNs. Such widespread VPN usage would have large, obvious impacts on the basic structure of the Internet.

The sort of Chinese folks who talk to Wired reporters are likely to be on VPNs, but very few Chinese folks are the sort who talk to Wired reporters.

-hal