On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Brian Conley <bri...@smallworldnews.tv>wrote:

> Do I trust Google not to share my information, ever? No, of course not.
> But do I trust Google not to share my information with the chinese
> government? I certainly trust them more than I trust Skype or Yahoo, or a
> number of others.

Likewise, because of Google's track record relative to those others.

A lot of the discussion I'm seeing here has gotten off the thread, so much
so that I'm hesitant to enter the noise.  Things like "thou shall only sing
'Free the software' in churchy communion with Richard Stallman" and "my
super ninja techniques are way superior to running Chrome OS" are not
addressing the original posting, which is discussion of the merits of using
Chrome OS in risky situations.   To argue that there are more secure
things- let's just assume that, as I believe the thread originally did.
 That's totally besides the point.  The point is, could Chrome OS also be a
good idea?

I THINK THAT'S A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION AND WORTHY OF SOME DISCUSSION.
 I wish to see more discussion from other people with enough knowledge of
Chromebooks to speak to this, my own assessment is not that interesting to
me.  One of a chromebook's claims to fame is it's security.  But even more
importantly, this is an off the shelf, easy to use and administer,
inexpensive mainstreamy type of device that clearly can meet a lot of use
case needs at least in terms of what it can do (but is it secure enough?),
and there has really not been anything like it before in the broader market
place.  Surely that's worth looking that, without risking complete and
utter moral corruption.

If you aren't entirely familiar with the current state of Chrome OS and the
devices that run them (because Chrome OS devices are not the same as
running Chromium OS on generic hardware), please, start another thread
where you can lament what people are saying on this one in your complete
ignorance, talk about alternatives that you do know, or generate whatever
noise you want to.   But in this thread, that's keeping better informed
points of view from participating?  Perhaps.

I have an enormous amount of respect for what Richard Stallman has
contributed, I think Tails linux is the bees knees, etc. etc.  But that is
not the point.  The point is would using a Chromebook sufficiently mitigate
risks for someone in a risky situation (use case to be more fully specified
for any given argument, yea or nay)?

-T