Hi All

I  would like to:

1> Request opinions on the security of WhatsApp and Viber (I understand the
security of the previous has been discussed extensively on Libtech)

2> Request suggestions on secure mobile messaging apps. These apps should
not just run on Android and iPhone devices, but should also run on the most
basic and cheapest of internet enabled phones (feature phones or dumb
internet enabled phones, particularly Nokia and older versions of Symbian).
These apps must also be free and easy to use.

Possibly web apps accessible from mobile could also be helpful, but these
should be the simplest form of mobi site (e.g. a "WAP" site)

Corporations in the west being able to technically hand over encryption
keys, although important may not be too important, as I am talking about
use of these technologies in a paraiah state, generally not having good
relations for western countries.

For security reasons, am not mentioning the particular country.

Thanks in advance,

I am looking forward to this discussion.

Alex Comninos, doctoral candidate
Department of Geography | Justus Liebig University, Gießen