On 03/13/2013 08:33 AM, Petter Ericson wrote:

Kyle:

A. This doesn't eliminate phishing because users will still enter
their credentials at a site that doesn't actually match the one where
the cert was previously signed. Otherwise, existing HTTPS controls
would already protect them.

Not speaking for the protocol author, but afaict, the client cert is
tied to the specific domain, meaning if you enter the wrong domain, you
won't get a "similar" page where you enter your credentials - you'll get
a page where you're not authenticated (the client cert is never sent to
a different domain from where it was signed).

Indeed, correct. The local CA root certificate is the *identity* of the site. The browser restricts accounts to the site.

B. What zone would contain user keys for DNSSEC?

I am not entirely sure what you are referring to here, but the server
provides the (signed) user public keys to any who asks, no DNSSEC
necessary. I am guessing a common API should be used for this
(www.server.com/get-pubkey?uid=<user>  or somesuch).

That's how I foresee it now. It could be a DNS(SEC)-based directory. I'm not sure which way to go with that. Perhaps your WoT could help here.

This does let the
server MITM messages unless you have sidechannel pubkey verification,
which is another reason why I find the message storage bit to be
somewhat badly integrated.

It does fit in badly. I foresee the messaging part to be used both for person-to-person messages like email but also to bootstrap other secure connections. For example, a dating site that lets people connect over ZRTP. The message could just contains the endpoints and keys for that session. See: [2].

XMPP might be a better fit.

We'll see what happens though, but I'm at least somewhat hopeful.

[1] though of course, a distributed/decentralised WoT-like construction
for the complete DNS hierarchy may be preferrable overall

It would reduce the risk of pressure on the registrars to block a site.

The requirement for a replacement of DNSSEC/DANE needs a secure 1:1 mapping of human-readable name to FPCA-Root-certificate.

With Regards, Guido Witmond.

2: http://witmond.nl/blog/2012/10/22/the-worlds-most-private-dating-site.html (warning: old text)